– Buena Vista – buildings 17-27
Bakery, 326 E. Main, was built in 1879.
The false front wood frame building has been a bakery all its life.
The Braun family had a bakery here from
the turn of the century, until the 1930s when the Loback family took over
the business, which they continue to operate today.
18. The Pearl
Theatre, E. Main, was once a warehouse.
The Pearl Movie Theatre was built in September, 1951.
The Pearl is owned by John L. Groy of Buena
Vista. Mr. Groy also owns and runs two other theatres in the area, the Unique
in Salida, and the Comanche Drive-In west of Buena Vista.
The theatre has 130 seats with spacious
From 1984 – 1996, Mr. Groy closed the Pearl
due to other business interests and a lack of time.
The theatre is now open again – on weekends
during summer months.
19. Snowy Mountain Framing, 312
E. Main, is one of the oldest brick buildings in Buena Vista, possibly constructed
around 1883. The building has had many uses over the years.
A map of Buena Vista from 1896 shows a
liquor store and clothing store in the building.
A portion of the building was the Dobbins
Pool Hall for 40 years. The pool hall was later run by Babe Mahon. In the
1940s, Scotty Craig owned a second hand store in the east half of the building.
20. Collegiate Peaks Realty,310 E. Main, is not known to ever have been a two-story
In 1896, the building is listed as Kettle’s
Later, it became Krueger Hardware. Ed Krueger,
mentioned earlier on the tour, owned the hardware store.
The building was also home to Lollar Drug
and Gwynn’s Pharmacy.
The office has recently undergone extensive
remodeling. Visitors are welcome to look inside.
21. Green Parrot, 304 E. Main,
was an ice cream parlor in 1896. It has been home to many businesses over
the years, including a feed store and a clothing store.
The Green Parrot began as a cafe and bar
in 1947, owned by Charlotte and Roy Merrifield. The Merrifields had a green
parrot, which was kept in the tavern and had a special perch on the bar
Through the the 1960s, among the many businesses
in the site was a linen store, Montgomery Ward, and a restaurant run by
the Pickrel family.
This building has also recently undergone
22. New Release Video/
The View/ Buffalo Joe River Trips,
300 E. Main, 105 N. Railroad, 113 N. Railroad.
The large, brick, building on the corner
of Main and Railroad Streets is part of the Marks block, named for the architect
who designed the buildings in in the 1890s.
The site was originally a grocery store
called Dean and Brown Mercantile. At the time, the store carried everything
from food to boots, clothing and mining supplies.
The building for many years had the first
and only elevator in Buena Vista, located at the back of this building.
The elevator was a hand operated open platform, to move supplies from one
floor to the other.
The back of the building where Buffalo
Joe and The View are located were storage areas for the mercantile store.
The building was used for some time as
a grocery. Dean and Brown sold the store to another grocer, Stevens and
Bay, who sold to the Perschbacher brothers, John and Leonard. John sold
the store to Art Starbuck, who operated it for many years. Art then sold
the business to Andy Anderson and Jerry Ford, who managed a Circle Super
store here. Eventually the building became Coast to Coast hardware, until
owners Jim and Carol McFarland moved the store to it’s present site on Hwy.
23. Buffalo Joe River Trips, 113 N. Railroad, the former Buena Vista Ice and
Coal Building is one of the few false front store buildings left in town.
The Braun family sold ice and coal here for many years. Part of the lettering
on the false front may still be legible.
It is also believed to have been a livery.
24. The small frame houses
east of Town Hall, 119, 203 & 207 Tabor St., private, are typical of
the homes built by the railroads for their employees.
Extra rooms were rented out to single railroad
men. When the wives of the railroad men came to live in the houses, they
planted lilac bushes, trees and flowers.
Buena Vista Town Hall building was built as a bank. It housed the First
National Bank of Buena Vista and was one of only two banks in the country
which paid of all its depositors after the stock market crash of 1929. In
the front room of the Town Hall the old bank vault can still be seen.
26. The block of businesses on East
Main St. west of Town Hall is called the Halsey
Block, built by John Smith Halsey in
Halsey had been an ambassador to China.
His son Cady Halsey had a drugstore in one of the buildings, and the old
back bar from the soda fountain is still in view in the east room of the
Lariat Bar, 206 E . Main, has many
old photos and artifacts from Buena Vista. Connie Cameron, owner, is the
great-great-granddaughter of one of Buena Vista’s first families, the Mahons.
The Lariat was a stationary store in the
1880s and the first Post Office was in this store.
The Lariat’s bar is believed to have been
transported by train to Buena Vista from Leadville, where it had been in
a saloon there.
27. Colorado Midland Railroad ticket sign mural seen on the side of the telephone office building has been restored.
This was previously the site of the Colorado
Midland railroad ticket office.
In later years, the 1940s & 50s, the
building was a telephone office. Operators there manually patched calls,
with the familiar phrase, “Number, please?”