RED GRAM DAL SPINACH CURRY FOR RICE OR CHAPATI
Tur dal spinach curry is also known as red gram dal spinach curry or palakura pappu.This curry is very delicious and simple to prepare.The main sources of this curry are tur dal and pieces of spinach.
The red gram dal is high in proteins,dietary fiber and some vitamins.Spinach is also very important to our health.
Ingredients for tur dal curry or pappu palakura
- Tur dal or red gram dal – 200 grams (1 cup)
- Pieces of spinach – 400 grams (1 cups)
- Onions – 50 grams
- Green chillies – 4
- Red chillies – 4
- Salt – to taste
- Mixed red chilli powder – 1 table spoon
- Water – as needed
- Oil – 3 table spoons
- Curry leaves – 20
- Ginger – 5 grams
- Bengal gram dal – 1 table spoon
- Black gram dal – 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
- Garlic cloves – 8
Method of preparation for Tur dal curry or pappu palakura
Wash and cut the vegetables for Tur dal curry or pappu palakura
- Wash and clean the fresh and tender palakura or spinach,onions,green chillies,ginger and curry leaves with running clean water.
- Remove the stalks of onions. Peel the onions and cut them into small pieces. Remove the stalks of green chillies and cut them into long pieces.
- Peel the ginger and cut into small pieces.Remove the stalks of red chillies and cut them into small pieces.Peel the garlic cloves.
- Chop the spinach into small pieces. Keep all these items aside.
Soak the tur dal for tur dal curry or pappu palakura
- First pick up stones from the tur dal.Rinse the red gram dal well in running clean water.
- Soak the tur dal in enough ( 1 cup tur dal – 1 1/2 cup water ) water for an hour.Keep this bowl aside.
Cook the tur dal for tur dal curry or pappu palakura
- Cook the soaked tur dal in a pressure cooker on high flame .Pressure cook the lentils for 4 whistles or until the tur dal is softened and well cooked.Then turn off the stove.
- Let the pressure go down by itself.Then open the lid and put the cooked dal bowl outside the cooker.Keep this aside.
Fry the ingredients for tur dal curry or pappu palakura
- Place a pan on the stove,heat the pan. Pour oil into it. When the oil is hot add mustard seeds and fry the till they splutter.
- Then add cumin seeds, the pieces of onions , green chillies ,ginger,garlic cloves,curry leaves,bengal gram dal,and black gram dal to them.
- Mix them well and fry till the colour of them changes slightly.
- Then add salt and mixed red chilli powder to them,sprinkle 10 ml of water and stir well.
Cook the spinach for tur dal curry or pappu palakura
- Then add the pieces of spinach,mix them well and fry slightly.
- Keep a lid on the pan and cook the mixture on flame for about ten minutes.
Cook the dal and spinach for tur dal curry or pappu palakura
- Then add cooked tur dal to the mixture.Stir them well.After five minutes of cooking ,keep a lid on the pan and cook on low flame for about 10 minutes or the pieces cooked completely.
- In this time every three minutes, remove the lid and stir them well to prevent them from getting burnt.
- If you desire,to bring it to a consistency ,add more water or evaporate the water by cooking .
- When the pieces are cooked completely,turn off the stove, transfer the tur dal curry or pappu palakura to a bowl and serve with hot rice.
Vegetables should be washed with salted water and then with clean water. 2).We must always use fresh,smooth, and tender spinach for good taste.
Do not use much water for cooking as it will not give good taste.
In this preparation ingredients used and time can be changed according to your taste and opinion.
Do not cook the spinach in pressure cooker as it get overcooked and most nutrients are lost.