Top 5 Reasons to Become a Phlebotomist
A phlebotomist’s main responsibility is to draw blood samples from patients for the purpose of medical testing. A phlebotomy technician is the actually person withdrawing the blood. This position has several advantages over other health-related and nursing careers. Here are the top 5 reasons to become a certified phlebotomy technician.
1. Becoming a phlebotomist is relatively quick and easy. Unlike most profession health degrees and certifications, phlebotomists do not require extensive schooling to become certified. All that is usually required is to attend some training classes, usually at a community college, and then pass an exam. Some states do not even require this much! These courses and exam can be completed in under a year.
2. The return on investment is quite high for a phlebotomy technician. The amount of studying and training work that goes into becoming certified is minimal compared to other careers. You will be spending few hours in classes, and not very much money, but when you are finished you will emerge with a full certification in a health related field. This is enough to get you in the door of a doctor’s office or clinic and can pave the way for you to move up to your desired career path.
3. Currently, there are many open positions requiring the skills a trained phlebotomist possesses. Besides drawing blood samples, a phlebotomist is also good at organization, administrative work, and laboratory familiarity. This knowledge is enough to find a job in a related health field as well, not necessarily phlebotomy, if one chooses to deviate.
4. The services of a phlebotomy technician are required in numerous places. There is not a clinic, doctor’s office, hospital, or other health-related center that is not in need of an employee with the skills a phlebotomist possesses.
5. The pay rate for a certified phlebotomy technician is quite high compared to other jobs. Because phlebotomy is classified as a health-related field, the compensation is comparable to other beginning salaries in other health careers specializing in high responsibility and high level of detail.
These are just the top 5 reasons to become a certified phlebotomy technician. A
is a great way to begin your employment and jump start your career. High pay and high rewards are some of the benefits you will receive when working in this field. You will be able to help those in need and provide for people who need your services. The amount of time you spend preparing yourself will pay itself back many times over. Keep these tips in mind when you are looking for your next position.